Re: About: Help us make the Debian CDs even better

Florian Ernst wrote:
Hello Hugo!

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 03:04:54PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

"Help us make the Debian CDs even better" appeared in announce.

To all of you who didn't see it:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0403/msg00009.html

<snip>

I'd personally think using the popularity of Woody packages for
determining what should be on Sarge's CDs is not the best thing to do.
For example according to this data exim4, Sarge's standard MTA that
doesn't exist in Woody, shouldn't be enclosed. Sure, this MTA will be
enclosed, but what about kdelibs4, gnome2, apache2...

The point is collecting popularity data on Woody for Sarge might not
be the wisest thing to do, sorry.

Cheers,
Flo

Good point. Someplace I read that the package only collects data on actual packages, which may not reflect reality. E,g: If I were to rate the 4 most important "packages" for me, I would say:
1. X4.3.0
2. Mozilla 1.7b
3. midnight commander
4. fvwm

But of the first three I installed the source and compiled it myself, so Debian does not know about it.

1. X4.3.0 needs a patch for me to run Backstreet Ruby and that Debian Package does not exist for woody.

2. Mozilla 1.7b does not exist for woody either with xft.

3. MC does not exist for woody with undelete enabled.

But I guess this is not the forum to discuss that.

Hugo.