Re: About: Help us make the Debian CDs even better

Hello Hugo!

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 03:04:54PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> "Help us make the Debian CDs even better" appeared in announce.

To all of you who didn't see it:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce-0403/msg00009.html

> It suggested to use the popularity-contest package in support of the
> next release.
>
> Excellent idea! Way to go!
>
> I install popularity-contest and watch cron do its weekly job of sending
> the data to apenwarr-survey@debian.org
> [...]
> Question: It appears popularity-contest has a hidden agenda and assumes
> that the Debian installation it reports about contains an expert
> exim/sendmail user.

All you need is a working mail-transport-agent (like the standard
exim) that is able to send mail to the net, well, and some data that
could prove useful for popcons purposes.
Here I had to follow /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.SMTP-AUTH and do
a dpkg-reconfigure to achieve the former, and the latter, hm, ...

> Is there a chance to participate in the popularity contest for us
> misinformed pseudo-Debian users that use Mozilla for all the mailing tasks?

As of v1.8 popularity-contest sends its mail to
survey@popcon.debian.org, so I guess you are using Woody.

I'd personally think using the popularity of Woody packages for
determining what should be on Sarge's CDs is not the best thing to do.
For example according to this data exim4, Sarge's standard MTA that
doesn't exist in Woody, shouldn't be enclosed. Sure, this MTA will be
enclosed, but what about kdelibs4, gnome2, apache2...

The point is collecting popularity data on Woody for Sarge might not
be the wisest thing to do, sorry.

Cheers,
Flo