Newbie: Window manager on the TV-out screen?

Dear Group,

I put in a nVidia GeForce card to get a tv-out facility on my Debian Sarge
machine. It works perfectly fine with Gnome 2.4 running and I can watch
movies using Xine.

However, I have a peculiar problem:
The keyboard does not work to input text into windows displayed on the TV.
There are no window headers and frames on the windows.

(I guess that is connected to the window manager, and maybe it is a silly
question, but a helpful tip would be appreciated!)

Many thanks for a powerful os,

    Göran