Re: Dual Displays and Gaming

>>On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:20 -0500, Thomas G wrote:

> >I have been using Dual displays for some time now but whenever I
>>go to
> >play a game like ut2004demo i get in half on one lcd and half on
>>the
>> other. This creates issues taking in mind that my crosshair is
>>split but
> >1 inch of screen gap. Is there a way I can fix this problem
>>without have
>> to edit XF86Config-4 (to disable one of the monitors) and
>>restarting X
> >everytime.
> >
> >Thanks like always,
> >Thomas
>

>I have this same problem (using nvidia's TwinView rather than
>straight
>xinerama, altho they seem to do the same thing).  It's not a perfect
>solution, but I added both layouts (one with, and one without
>TwinView)
>to the X config. When I come to play a game, I launch a second X
>server
>with 'startx -- -layout single :1' and use that (without killing the
>original X server).

>Pretty much boils down to the same solution as what you're doing
>already, but makes switching configs much easier.  If you do take
>this
>route however, remember to stop Xscreensaver on the existing server
>-
>glslideshow running on the inactive server can really eat into your
>performance.

>HTH,
> Shaun

I also use Nvidia TwinView and do not have any problem with Ut2004, I
do not have Ut2004 spanning both screens.  Below is the settings I
use for device, its minimal because most of the Nvidia defaults are
what I like anyway.   I could set it up for each screen, and have
two device sections, two monitor sections, two screen sections but
this is easier and works great.  If you use another card rather than
Nvidia, you might have to dig up more information.

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Geforce fx 5600 ultra"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:01:05:00"
        Option          "TwinView"
        Option          "SecondMonitorHorizSync"        "31-85"
        Option          "SecondMOnitorVertRefresh"      "50-85"
        Option          "MetaModes"     "1024x768,800x600;
1024x768,800x600"

I also only have one screen default, because both monitors use the
same defaults for setup.  On Monitor one, I have 1024x768, while on
the second monitor I have 800x600, works great.

Have you tried in your Ut2004 settings under video section, to not
have full screen enabled?  I usually run 800x600 and can move Ut2004
to any screen I want.  Remember to type ctrl G to get a free mouse,
and move the screen to where ever you want, this only apply's to
when its not in full screen.

Rthoreau