Re: Using Debian Installer

Damon L. Chesser wrote:

Now I understand. This did flit across my mind, but I couldn't conceive why I should want to install Debian when I already have both Woody and Sarge on this box. Thanks for replying. John.

What are you trying to do? Knoppix is Debian, but in a mix of woody, testing, unstable. You can do all of that with your Sarge install. What do you want to accomplish? Learn Linux, install Debian. Learn of different distros? Then use the live-cd feature of Knoppix. Your response to S. Keeling has me very confused over what you hope to get done.

My wife runs Windoze and frequently gets into difficulty with freezes and so forth. I've convinced her to have a Linux install in a separate partition so that she will always have a solid setup to fall back on. I often refer to Knoppix when I want to try to understand something, and I thought I could do a hard disk install and prune it to down to leave only what she would need. Before attempting this I decided to do an install on one of my boxes just to see if there would be any
problems and confirm it would be suitable for her.

Right, there are now three ways of doing a hard disk install - one I don't understand, the second is David McNab's 'knx-hdinstall' and the third using 'knoppix-installer' a new approach employing a GUI. I used 'knoppix-installer' and everything seemed fine at first until I started re-writing some files and found the these were being rewritten on the next boot ( the most obvious case was with /etc/fstab -the knoppix-autoconfig script ran and all 22 partitions I have on this box were scanned, /etc/fstab overwritten and icons placed on
the Desktop). I stopped the /etc/fstab problem with chattr -i, but then I
discovered that the rcx.d files contained virtually nothing compared to Woody or Sarge. At this point I asked for assistance (on a local list ) and one reply suggested I used the new Debian Installer. As I didn't understand what was
involved I posted to this list.

Now, I'm well into my seventies and did not have any Computer until I was
long retired. After a few months wrestling with Windoze I switched to
Debian and since then I have always had a solid fully working System
(never a crash). I've learned a lot - by trial and asking on this list (I've been subscribed continuosly for almost six years), but there are still areas into
which I have not so far ventured. My wife is also long retired, but does
not have my inquiring mind - I swear she feels her Computer should also
cook the meals.

I'm sorry if I caused your confusion. I know I can try a new install using
'knx-hdinstall' which worked for me  a couple of years ago when I was
checking Knoppix out, but I wondered why 'knoppix-installer' didn't
seem to do the complete job and then the red herring of the Debian
Installer made me very confused.

Regards, John.

Forwarded the above to Damon in error instead of to the list. Apologies!