Re: more installation stuff

Adam Funk wrote:
On Friday 12 March 2004 13:10, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

jack kinnon wrote:

hi fiolks,

Got started with the installation and encountered some problems.

1. I'm using a USB 56K modem. Window XP recognised it's port as COM3.
In Debian installation, COM3 is /dev/ttyS2. No option for USB port?

This is almost certainly a "winmodem."  Get yourself a real modem,
i.e.,
not DSP powered and you will be OK.  You can also check out
www.linmodems.org.  If you are lucky, your modem will be supported
or the manufacturer will have released a binary driver.

Am I right in believing that all external serial (RS232 not USB) modems
are "real" modems?

Yes.  Any device that connects to the actual serial port
must have a UART, or it cannot communicate with the port.
This makes it impossible to have an external serial winmodem.

-Roberto