Re: more installation stuff

jack kinnon wrote:
hi fiolks,
Got started with the installation and encountered some problems. 1. I'm using a USB 56K modem. Window XP recognised it's port as COM3. In Debian installation, COM3 is /dev/ttyS2. No option for USB port?
This is almost certainly a "winmodem."  Get yourself a real modem, i.e.,
not DSP powered and you will be OK.  You can also check out
www.linmodems.org.  If you are lucky, your modem will be supported
or the manufacturer will have released a binary driver.

2. I'm installation X-Window. I have two video ports, one is PCI S3ViRGE and the other is onboard Intel 82865G AGP. What's the X server driver for the Intel chip?
I try out X-Window with the PCI controller. On boot-up, the screen goes blank and CTRL-ALT-F1 does not bring up the command-line screen. How now?
Net sure.  You may need a very recet xserver.  Are you installing Woody?
You may want to try an XFree86 4.3 backport or switching to Sid.

Would appreciate some answers.
Thanks
-Roberto