Re: Debian on Dell

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 10:15:06 +0100, Marc Koenders
<marc.koenders@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The config you are contemplating makes me turn green in envy.

Well, it is just going to be my office machine. I'm not paying for it,
neither is it mine. Left to myself I would have used an independent
vendor anyway. In any case, they may not go with my spec.

[snip]
> Installing Debian is something you dont do at 02:00 at night. You gotta
> make sure you are awake and alert. Read the messages Debian pops. Even
> if your only option is OK or Continue. Or else.
> I decided to do install from the netinstall iso (woody) and since the
> 2.4 kernel somehow did not recognise my usb keyboard i had to go for the
> standard kernel and do without my usb mouse till after install.
> Since I, being cocky from many successfull Redhat, Suse and Mandrake
> installs on other machines, did not follow my advice to be awake while
> installing i ran into some nice unexpected trouble. dselect is probably
> a nice tool but eh IMHO even the FreeBSD netinstall has a more
> userfriendly installer.

Yes, installing Debian can be (ahem) interesting at times. The new
sarge installer (debian-installer) is a quantum leap in improvement,
though.

> Still with some help at some critical points (Thnx Jens) I ended up with
> a nice sleek fit-like-a-glove os on a machine (and yes i admit. it will
> be never be as cool as the configuration you are gonna get =) ) that I
> could not have built better.
>
> I wish you alot of fun with your new machine and I do hope you decide to
> go for Debian. It needs some time to be tweaked but that is part of the
> fun IMO.

Thanks!  It has been a long time since I used anything but Debian
(except under the pressure of extreme necessity).

                                                                Faheem.