Re: base system, no x windows yet,HOW?

Hallo,

from what I understand, Your Nic is already working in the sense, the kernel
detects it. As soon as Your kernel discovers "eth0" You've no longer any need
to upgrade the kernel in order to get the network running.
Instead try looking what went wrong with Your basic network configuration,
that is, "ifconfig" and "route" together with their man pages are Your
friends at the moment.
Additionally You might want to have a look into /etc/network/interfaces (it
also comes with a nice man page). As long as Your NIC is not setup by dhcp,
You'll have to add the defaultrout through Your gateway by hand. IIRC the
command there ist
route add default gw "router-ip-address"
but I could be wrong there.
The steps, You should go through is
a) get the interface correct so You can ping local devices including Your
router
b) get the route right to be able to ping some internet connected computer (by
IP address!)
c) get dns running (in that case, You'll have to look into /etv/resolv.conf).
Best regards,
   js

>Hi!Jonathan,
>
>Thanks your reply!
>
>It's said that the NIC network cards  of EPOX-8rda3g MB would be in function
under kernel 2.4.20.
>should I upgrade the current woody kernel to sarge and thus to set up
networking and complet my debian installation?