Re: base system, no x windows yet,HOW?

Hallo,

>At first I ventured into debian installation ( via networking)again,
>the embeded LAN chips(RTL8201BL , RTL8101L)  of current EPOX-8RDA3G
> motherboard (nforce2 Ultra 400 +MCP   chipsets) can't be detected whatever
> kernel driver modules I set on.

There is one driver in the current 2.6.3 Kernel, it's called "reverese
engineered nforce ethernet support" which is most likely, what You've got.

>Now it's only a base system, I can login under console....
>no x windows yet ,  what left packages should I download & install  under
>console ?is it possible to make  networking chips work and make rest of
>installation via network and upgrade kernel to latest 2.6.3? and how to do it
>under console with commands?

The general idea would be to first install 2.6.3 by hand and have networking
afterwards. However it is NOT suggested to do so, especially not with debian
woody, as debian woody is not prepared for 2.6 series. In that case, it is
suggested to update to debian testing (sarge) which is prepared.
downloading kernel sources by hand will not do the trick. You will need at
least the bzip2 package along with the ncurses5-dev to run at least
menuconfig (or face some sort of hell using make config). To find out, mark a
2.4 kernel source in dselect and watch the dependencies it discoveres.
You could simplify Your live by getting to the next discounter and by a
(presumably 10$) Realtek 8139 ethernet board, solving Your problems.
If You do not know how to recompile a kernel, You should surf to www.tldp.org
and look there (or the appropriate document at debian.org, telling You how to
do it the debian way).
Once again, do NOT use 2.6 with woody unless You exactly know, what You're
doing.
   js

>do help me out!
>do write me back ASAP!