Re: aptitude stopped automatically upgrading packages

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 11:27:16AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:49:10PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
| | Usually when I used aptitude in the curses interfaces pressing u to
| | update and then g to install would mark all upgradable packages for
| | upgrade. Now it doesn't work any more.
| | Doing on the command line aptitude dist-upgrade or from them menus mark
| | upgradable does work.
|
| | Any ideas?
|
| I have two systems.  After the latest aptitude upgrade, one of them
| exhibited the behavior you describe, but the other one maintained the
| old behavior.  I just went through the configurations and found the
| significant difference.  Put the following in /etc/apt/apt.conf to get
| the old behavior :
|     Aptitude::Auto-Upgrade "true" ;

I should add the following notes :

The new default (Auto-Upgrade "false") is not a bad thing because it
allows one to use the curses interface to install or upgrade a single
package without upgrading all packages that have a newer version
available.

In conjunction with that, a usability issue has been fixed - if a
package has a new version available and Auto-Upgrade is false, then
pressing '+' on the package to upgrade it does -not- change it's
automatic/manual state.  The older version would change automatically
installed packages to manually installed in this scenario.

-D

--
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to
all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he