Re: Reconfigure Mouse?

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:50:44PM -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I'm running in KDE.
> I'm using a Logitech optical wheel mouse connected through the USB port
> I'm referring to the X Mouse.

I have one of these mice ($15 variety?) with a usb-ps2 adapter on it.
Given the problems I've had with usb printing, I left the adapter on...
;-)

Anyway, half my problems with X disappeared when I zapped the loading
of the generic mouse in the XF86Config-4 file.  That is now back in
when I found that the same settings for both worked.

It was a pain in the butt getting the right protocol.  I had not long
ago fought this before upgrading my box, and had used a nice X
configuration tool called xf86cfg which runs an X session and
autodetected the mouse.  That "auto" protocol still works...

Here's my conf:

---------
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
#       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/mouse"
        Option          "Protocol"              "auto"
EndSection
---------

and a relevant part of the log file:

---------
(**) Option "Protocol" "auto"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "auto"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 5
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type:
MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type:
Other)
(--) Configured Mouse: PnP-detected protocol: "ImPS/2"
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
---------

I don't know how different the usb part would be for you, but try
xf86cfg.

HTH,

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,