Re: Reconfigure Mouse?

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

I just installed Debian on a laptop, but apparently entered the mouse configuration incorrectly. The problem, of course, is that I can't move the mouse cursor, so I can't select anything.

I'm sure there's a way to reconfigure the mouse at this point without reloading everything. Would someone be so kind as to help here?

No, you don't have to reload everything. But you've failed to tell us if you're talking about the console mouse, or the mouse in X (two different, but likely related, critters), what kernel you're using, and what type of mouse (usb, ps2, etc).

I'm going to assume you're talking about X. I'm further going to assume a ps2 mouse with a wheel.

You can have a mouse in the console, or in the console and in X. I find it easier to have both, so that's the direction I'm going to go.

If you're in X, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to the second virtual terminal; if you're not in X, you're fine where you are.

"apt-get install gpm"
Tell gpm that your mouse is on "/dev/psaux", of type "imps2", and to repeat "raw". After gpm is installed, move the mouse; you should see a white block cursor moving on the screen. If not, run "gpmconfig" and tinker with the settings some more. If you have a USB mouse, the location will be "/dev/input/mice", but you also have to have USB support working, which is another can of worms.

Then reconfigure X to use the raw data repeated from gpm. Do this with the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", and specify "/dev/gpmdata" as the mouse location. You'll need to restart X after this. If you started X with "startx", just switch back to X with (Ctrl-)Alt-F7, and press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X. If X was started with a tool like kdm or gdm (you had a graphical logon screen), restart that tool with a command like "/etc/init.d/gpm restart" (substitute xdm, wdm, kdm for gdm until it works).

Now your mouse should be working.

--
Kent