gnome-panel woes (clock not available)

Hello,

I already posted this a few days ago, and just try again.

Without apparent reason, the clock applet has vanished from my panel.
All attempts to add it were in vain.
The fun part: if I run the panel from xterm (killall gnome-panel &&
gnome-panel) the clock is back. Actually, several clocks... presumably
these are the result of me adding them to the panel again and again when
they never turned up.

When I kill the xterm-based panel, it will be restarted by
who-knows-what, but again without the clock.

This behaviour seems very strange to me. Any ideas apart from burning
incense sticks and singing mantras?

cu,
Schnobs