Re: I messed up apt-get -- help!

This is propably due to a large amount of unresolved dependencies. I've tried similar when trying to install and "old" package in a "new" system. The old package want'ed to downgrade a lot of other packages and all of h*ll broke loose... I've solved the dependencies problem by calling
apt-get -f install
and the dependencies was resolved. Be prepared as this might remove the most of your current packages. After that it was again possible to install kde, but not with apt-get install kde. Insted try
apt-get install kde-base
which will propably have a lot of dependencies and install a lot of other kde packages in the process. Otherwise try to search for kde packages with
 apt-cache search kde | more
and try installing some of them

Hopes this helps...

Claus

test524@comcast.net wrote:

Hello all,

I've managed to badly screw up apt-get by going from KDE 2.2 in woody to a KDE 3.2 woody backport.

Shame on me, but now I've uninstalled the 3.2 backport and reset my sources.list
to have the following (uncommented) lines:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main

Trouble is, I can't now install the regular woody version of KDE.
After an apt-get update, I get:

mycomp:~# apt-get install kde
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

 kde: Depends: kdelibs3 but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: libkmid or
               libkmid-alsa but it is not going to be installed or
               libkmid-bin but it is not installable
      Depends: kdebase but it is not going to be installed or
               kdebase3 but it is not installable
      Depends: kdebase-audiolibs but it is not going to be installed or
               kdebase3-audiolibs but it is not installable
      Depends: kdebase-libs but it is not going to be installed or
               kdebase3-libs but it is not installable
      Depends: libkonq3 but it is not going to be installed or
               libkonq4 but it is not installable
      Depends: konqueror but it is not going to be installed or
               konqueror3 but it is not installable
      Depends: kate but it is not going to be installed or
               kate3 but it is not installable
      Depends: konsole but it is not going to be installed or
               konsole3 but it is not installable
      Depends: kscreensaver but it is not going to be installed or
               kscreensaver3 but it is not installable
      Depends: kuser but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: ksysv but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kcron but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kpackage but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: secpolicy but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kghostview but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kview but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kmail but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: korn but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: ark but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kab but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: karm but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kcalc but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kcharselect but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kdepasswd but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kdf but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kedit but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kfind but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: khexedit but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kjots but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: knotes but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kpm but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kpaint but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kiconedit but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kfract but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: ksnapshot but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kruler but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kdict but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kit but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: knode but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: ksirc but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: koffice but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: knewsticker but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: ktimer but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: kcoloredit but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

I've tried lots of things, including aptitude, -f, etc.
I've tried apt-get install kdelibs3, but that gives me:

<snip>
 kdelibs3: Depends: xbase-clients but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

And trying apt-get install xbase-clients gives similar problems (with libxaw7, xlibmesa3 and xlibs).

I'm not really sure how I got into this rut, but I'd welcome with open arms any
suggestions on how to get out.

Thanks,

Charles.