Re: md: can not impport hdb1, has active inodes!

On Wednesday March 3, chris1@psyctc.org wrote:
> Aha, didn't know that wrinkle: lovely.  Mount says:
> /dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
>
> and cat /proc/mounts says:
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root / ext2 rw 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
>
> Does that "/dev/root" bit indicate anything useful?

No, but the fact that root is actually 'ext2' even though mount (and
presumably fstab) thinks it is ext3 is a bit suspicious.

> > Exactly how did you tell lilo to use /dev/md0?
> > With
> >    root=/dev/md0
> > as an option in lilo.conf, or with
> >    append= "root=/dev/md0"
>
> I think I've only tried the former (with and without an earlier line,
> before the image stanzas, saying root=/dev/hdb1)

If there are any "root=/dev/hdb1" lines in lilo.conf, I suggest taking
them out.
I think you currently have /dev/hdb1 as your root filesystem still.
You can easily check this:

   mkdir /a /b
   mount /dev/hdb1 /a
   mount /dev/md0 /b
   > /a-file
   ls -l /?/a-file

If the ls finds "/a/a-file", then /dev/hdb1 is root.
If it finds /b/a-file, then /dev/md0 is root.

If it still doesn't work, post your lilo.conf

NeilBrown