Re: What makes /dev/hdb1 say it's mounted/active when it isn't?

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:11:31PM -0000, Chris Evans wrote:
> I hope this is the final stage in configuring this machine as a RAID1
> mirrored, three ethernet port firewall ... but I'm not quite there
> yet.
>
> I've followed the guide at:
> http://www.cs.montana.edu/faq/faqw.admin.py?query=Convert+Root+System+
> to+Software+Raid&querytype=simple&casefold=yes&req=search
>
> which had turned up on a debian list search to try to set up the
> RAID1 mirror of the boot/root drive.  I installed to /dev/hdb1
> (/dev/hda is the CDROM and perhaps I should have changed that first).

Shouldn't matter, as long as your BIOS can boot it (which it obviously
can).

> Loaded 2.2.20, got 2.4.19 sources, compiled RAID1 support into the
> kernel (still can't get rid of one complaint about a missing
> character set module but don't think that's causing any real
> problems), made the identical /dev/hdc1 into a somewhat smaller linux
> autodetect RAID format partition, mounted it as 2nd drive in a RAID1
> drive using:
>   mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-disks=2 missing /dev/hdc1
                                                        ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Okay, I haven't used the mdadm (I used raidtools2), but shouldn't this
be hdb1 missing?

> which worked fine, mkfs -t ext3 /dev/hdc1, mount it to /mnt1,

and then shouldn't you have a working /dev/md0 to mkfs -t ext3 /dev/md0?

> cp -ax / /mnt, tweak /etc/fstab ... /dev/md0 mounts fine, tweak lilo
> conf to boot from /dev/md0, reboot -- fine, finally come to add
> /dev/hdb1 into the array after resetting the partition type to
> autodetect RAID ...
>
> .. no go, system complains that /dev/hdb1 is mounted or that an inode
> is active:
> md: can not impport hdb1, has active inodes!
> md: error, md_import_device() returned -16

If above was incorrect, then hdb1 would be part of the (active) RAID? so
you can't import it again.

I haven't done that much RAID, and not with mdadm.  But if my comments
above are correct, maybe this is your problem?

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.