Re: Hardware clock, and getting it set to UTC?

Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:13:57PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
>> BTW, it's "fun" to set the hardware clock to UTC on a dual-boot
>> Debian-Windows system.  Windows doesn't "get it" and thus displays UTC
>> as if it was EST.  Just remember never to set the clock to local time
>> while Windows is running, or then Debian will have an incorrect notion
>> of what the current UTC time is.
>
> I recall in high school when we thought to try dual booting one of the
> machines, we used to get some wicked DST issues unless Windows
> timezone was set to UTC.  I don't use Windows often enough to know if
> this was isolated to just us or not.

I remember the last time I had to dual boot with a Microsoft OS, UTC
wasn't even an option.  GMT was as close as I could get, which turned
around and bit me in the ass when Summer Time came into affect.  I
even had the little box checked (or was it unchecked) that *I thought*
prevented it from changing my clock.  This must have been around
WfW 3.1 or so, so that may have been fixed.

--
Lift me down, so I can make the Earth tremble.
                                --Bucky Katt