installation problem (Woody r2)

Hi

I am having troubles installing debian. I am using Woody release 2 on
i386 hardware, and each time the installer stops either with 'return
value 127' or 'return value 1'.
/target/var/log/debootstrap.log reads:
-                                                                                                                                                                          ln:
                                                                                                                                                                           /target/usr/bin/awk:
File exits
umount: /target/dev/pts Invalid argument
umount: /target/dev/shm Invalid argument
umount: /target/proc/bus/sub Invalid argument
-                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     In
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      previous
attempts, i have seen lines referring to lilo.
Can anyone tell me what is going wrong?
I have downloaded the iso using jigdo-lite and have also manually
verified that the ms5 sum for the whole iso is correct. Funny detail
is that when i do the media check, the cd fails.  Is this an indication
that my cdrom drive may be wrong? I did not see any DriveSeek errors,
so i do not understand why it would fail the media check after i have
made sure that the md5sum from the iso matched the one from debian's
website.

Any pointers are welcome.

Regards,

Andreas.