Still having problems printing to Brother HL1450 (Debian testing).

I recently posted about getting a junk page before every printout, and
this page was recommended.
http://excess.org/docs/linux_windows_printing.html

Unfortunately, it doesn't work in my case.  I purged all lpr* and cups*
packages and started from scratch with cupsys and cupsys-bsd.  This
combination would not print anything: the lights never even blinked on
the printer.

Then I tried cupsys + lprng and went through all the CUPS drivers: with
the recommended (hl1250) driver, console printing (e.g. lpr file) works
but not the CUPS test page (the printer lights blink and it makes a
noise but nothing prints); also nothing appears when printing from the
Windows machine on the LAN.  With all the other HL1450 drivers,
printing from the Debian machine works but not from the Windows
machine: this generates an email error message:

Subject: Rejected print job
Your print job was automatically rejected as an invalid data type.
Cannot print PJL files on this printer.

Same results with cupsys + lpr.  The only good news is that I'm no
longer getting the junk page, but Samba printing is an extremely
serious problem!

Here's a list of relevant packages (cut from dpkg -l):
ii  lpr                       2000.05.07-5
ii  cupsys                    1.1.20final-15
ii  cupsys-driver-gimpprint   4.2.5-6
ii  samba                     3.0.2-2
ii  samba-common              3.0.2-2
ii  samba-doc                 3.0.2-2
ii  smbclient                 3.0.2-2
ii  smbfs                     3.0.2-2
ii  foomatic-bin              3.0.0-20040203-2
ii  foomatic-db               20040203-1
ii  foomatic-db-engine        3.0.0-20040203-2
ii  foomatic-db-hpijs         1.5-20040203-2
ii  foomatic-filters          3.0.0-20040203-1
ii  foomatic-filters-ppds     20040203-1
ii  magicfilter               1.2-56

I would really appreciate help fixing this problem.

-- Adam