Re: modules after kernel make - can't get new kernel finding its modules

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:37:22PM -0000, Chris Evans wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2004 at 13:28, CW Harris wrote:
>
> > I thought you were using make-kpkg?  It does all this for you when you
> > "build" the .deb package.
> So I thought: but it isn't!  I think that's because it's picking up a
> .config that isn't marking the module packages for inclusion
>
> > What are the diff's between the working 2.4.18 config
> working 2.4.18-df2.4
>
> > and the new one?
> That lots of modules aren't marked for inclusion as loadable modules
> or compiled in ... I assume ... but the bottom line is that I don't
> know, exactly what they are as I have the basic source tree of 2.4.18
> from the distro and the working image from 2.4.18-bf2.4 but I don't
> know (do I?) what the .config is that made the 2.4.18-bf2.4 and if I

The kernel-image-2.4.18-1-386 package installs a file:

-rw-r--r-- root/root     36944 2004-02-01 03:20:38 ./boot/config-2.4.18-1-386
(This is obviously from the "386" bf2.4 package, other bf2.4 packages
 will have a similar name.)

This file contains the configuration that this kernel was compiled with.
So if you already have a working kernel that you just want to add RAID
to, start with it.

I haven't really used the initrd stuff in my kernels, so I don't know if
that is causing you any problems, but starting with that config file you
should be able to build the same kernel since support for initrd is part
of the configuration.

> could start from that I think I'd be home and dry and could just add
> RAID and take out quite a bit I don't need and probably add a bit of
> IP tracking ... trouble is, I can't see how I get that starting
> config for 2.4.18-bf2.4.  Any idea how do I find out?
> Should it only be the RAID built-in?

I would start with the working kernel and add only 1 major change at a
time (at least until you get more comfortable with this).  As posted
before in this thread, you can use the kernel flavours to help keep your
kernel modules separate (and thus keep a working kernel as a stable
rescue boot while you are playing around with kernel changes).

If you are doing Software RAID, read the fine Software-RAID-HOWTO (it
will be in /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/.. if you have installed the
doc-linux-text package, otherwise check it out on the LDP, www.tldp.org
- or a mirror near you).

If you are doing hardware RAID, make sure you have everything to support
your RAID hardware.

> > Maybe start with the working config
> but I don't think the kernel-image package gives me that, or, to be
> more accurate, I'm sure it does but it's not in the /usr/src

I don't recall where the Debian source package puts things, but the
source can be installed anywhere and worked on by an ordinary user.
Only the package install has to be by root.

There is support for module building outside the kernel, that uses
/usr/src/module or something like that.  This is not the same as the
normal modules used in the kernel source.  The kernel-package docs also
tell how to use make-kpkg to build these type modules.

> directory tree obviously and I'm looking for someone on the list who
> I'm sure does know, to tell me how I can get this ...
>
> > and do "make menuconfig" (or whatever method you like) to add the RAID
> > stuff, then try the make-kpkg sequence again.
> Yup
>
> > Note you should have a config in /boot corresponding to the
> > kernel-compile options (but there may be a config option to not use
> > it? I seem to recall there might be, but I have always had
> > /boot/config-2.4.xx)
> Don't understand this.  Can you expand?

See above.

<snip>
> > > Chris
> > > PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
> >
> > Take an anti-depressant PRN :>
> Nah, I'm a group therapist and family/systems therapist by main
> training so I guess I turn to the group/family PRN.  Sorry if it's a
> pain for those who really know what they're doing: I'd offer you a
> free place in a group but I run them in a high secure hospital so
> you'd have to kill someone first to get in...

I'll keep that in mind. :>

> Thanks again!

There are probably others who can help you better, but if /I/ can get
through this, I'm sure you can. Just keep at it.

Also, the fakeroot package is nice to let you do all the package work as
non-root if you're not already. (Again, in the kernel-package docs.)

HTH

--

Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.