Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive -- gaah!

Hey everyone,

I seem to havel ost my trusty old usb flash drive, so I shelled out
$70 for a new one -- and carelessly bought a Sandisk Cruzer 256meg
model.  Gaah!  I can't get it to work!!

with the old drive, I simply plugged the thing in, usb-storage took
over and the drive was assigned /dev/sda(something or other).

Now, dmesg gnerates this when the drive plugs in:

hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-1.2, assigned address 19
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 2, frame# 1292
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=19 (error=-110)
hub.c: new USB device 00:11.2-1.2, assigned address 20
usb.c: USB device not accepting new address=20 (error=-110)
[root@anarres<503>/home/matt]$

note that this is the output for a single plug-in event -- that is,
the kernel tries to talk to it twice before giving up.

On the web I see postings indicating that people have gotten it
working.  But I can't do it!  any suggestions?

btw, I'm running sid on an Athlon CPU with a self-rolled, make-kpkg
2.4.23 kernel; I think all the relevant modules are up and running,
see the output of lsmod (attached below).

I'm kinda desperate for help, and pretty well need this to work in the
next couple of days -- so any assistance is desperately appreciated!
thanks,

matt