upgrade to linux 2.6.3 causing strange behaviour

I just installed the standard debian package kernel-image-2.6.3-1-k7 and
booted from it, after previously running 2.6.1

For the first few minutes it seems to have real problems with cpu loading.
Starting up KDE causes the soundserver to fail because of to high a CPU

I does eventually settle down, and now - some 5 mins after booting I seem to
have a working system

Anyone else see this, and is it a feature of linux 2.6.3, or a debian problem?
--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk