Re: upgrade to linux 2.6.3 causing strange behaviour

On Saturday 28 February 2004 01:36 pm, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I just installed the standard debian package kernel-image-2.6.3-1-k7 and
> booted from it, after previously running 2.6.1
>
> For the first few minutes it seems to have real problems with cpu loading.
> Starting up KDE causes the soundserver to fail because of to high a CPU
>
> I does eventually settle down, and now - some 5 mins after booting I seem
> to have a working system
>
> Anyone else see this, and is it a feature of linux 2.6.3, or a debian
> problem? --
> Alan Chandler
> alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk

I have had a similar problem with kernel-image-2.6.2-1-686 and
kernel-image-2.6.3-1-686.  In my case, kdm starts X.  At this point I can
switch to a vt and there is ~0 cpu usage.  Once I log into KDE, though, the
mouse is jerky and user cpu usage hovers at ~15%.  Top doesn't show any
processes using the cpu, though.  See bug #232128 for more info and lots of
various log files.

I haven't stayed in KDE for more than a minute or two, though, as the mouse is
practically unusable.  I am currently using kernel-image-2.6.0-1-686, as it
works fine for me.  I never tried a 2.6.1 kernel.

Josh Metzler