Re: postfix and sasl pwcheck daemon

  Hi Emiliano;

at a short range an answer: I am not using a similar setup, so I have
no solution to the underlying problem. A few comments, however:

Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
I am trying to setup debian with smtp_auth on a debian woody machine,
using only packages from stable tree. Unofortunately it doesn't work, i
always get 'sasl authentication failed' errors.

I tried to trace down the problem, and it seems that postfix (from
postfix-tls 1.11.0...again, only packages from debian stable tree)
doesn't talk with pwcheck.

Is using newer packages absolutely no option? - You see, postfix'
development tends to be rather fast, and the packages in stable are
outdated by far. They are totally out of date, IMHO.

I would suggest using the following source otherwise, which would give
you postfix 2.0.16 and cyrus 2.1.15:

# Backported Cyrus IMAPd, Postfix etc. for Woody
deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/cyrus/
deb http://people.debian.org/~hmh/woody/ hmh/postfix/

Setting up SASL with sasldb Authentication following the excellent docs
at http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/ was no big
deal, then.

Pwcheck has its socket under /var/state/pwcheck/pwcheck, and it is
correctly opened and used by cyrus pop3/imap servers. The same socket
seems to be unavailable for postfix. I tried both chrooted and not
chrooted mode, no change.

Any hint?

I know this isn't what you were asking for, but maybe it is a bit of
help anyway.

Being very conservative, I am against using packages from other sources wherever reasonable in at least a productive environment. But this is
one of the rare exclusions applied to the rule. Any comment is welcome.

--
Viele Grüße, Kai