postfix and sasl pwcheck daemon

Hi everybody.

I am trying to setup debian with smtp_auth on a debian woody machine,
using only packages from stable tree. Unofortunately it doesn't work, i
always get 'sasl authentication failed' errors.

I tried to trace down the problem, and it seems that postfix (from
postfix-tls 1.11.0...again, only packages from debian stable tree)
doesn't talk with pwcheck.

Pwcheck has its socket under /var/state/pwcheck/pwcheck, and it is
correctly opened and used by cyrus pop3/imap servers. The same socket
seems to be unavailable for postfix. I tried both chrooted and not
chrooted mode, no change.

Any hint? I don't know where postfix looks for pwcheck, and tried to
symlink pwcheck socket all around with no change. Could it be a
permission problem preventing postfix from using it?

I saw a post on this list, a few weeks ago, with a similar problem. It
was solved by a different configuration. I tried the same but didn't
help.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am kinda lost, tried all i could
think of.

Thanks a lot

E.