Re: Updating Debian in a very secure way

Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net> writes:

>> What's wrong with it?
>
> Nothing's wrong with it:  it's what you asked for.  You started
> out with a sources.list that drew from stable, testing, and unstable,
> as well as unofficial repositories, but *didn't* draw from the
> security updates.  You said you wanted to "only get secure packages",
> and then later clarified that to say y that you wanted "updates which
> are believed to work very stable and fully tested or at least
> something like this".  So you were given a sources.list which drew
> updates from the stable distribution, and from the security updates
> (which are updates to stable).  The sources.list you were provided
> didn't include testing or unstable, because you explicitly said
> you didn't want those.  That's where the "enormous list of updates"
> was coming from:  those two distributions.  The stable distribution
> doesn't get many updates.

Alright. So, I guess even now there are not all packages at my system
stable or secure.

> It sounds to me like you haven't read the documentation about this
> stuff, and don't really know what's going on -- what the differences
> are between stable, testing and unstable;

That's right. I can promise that I'll do this in just a moment.

> what packages/distributions get security updates, new version updates,
> etc.  I recommend reading the Debian FAQ, esp. sections 5-8; and the
> Debian Reference, esp.  sections 2 and parts of 5-6.  Others here may
> have other recommendations.

But I agree with nearly all things you've mentioned in your posting.

Thanks a lot.

Moritz
--
please send mail to momo.beller(AT)t-online(DOT)de