Java applet troubles on websites (Mozilla, Firefox, Konq)

I can't view Java applets on websites anymore (I'm pretty sure I used to
be able to > 1 year ago). Here's an example of where this is happening,
but it applies to every site using a Java applet:

http://www.queensu.ca/surp/index.htm

Why they're using  Java applets for something that could have been done
with a few simple bits of CSS I don't know, but that's beside the point
for sites that have some cause to use them (game sites come to mind).

Mozilla and Firefox simply crash if I've got the Java plugin installed
in their respective plugin directories (actually symlinks, but they
show up in about:plugins). Without the plugin they display blank space.

Konqueror seems more hopeful at first, with a "Loading Applet" message,
but it never loads. In fact, in Konqueror's scan plugins settings pane
it refuses to acknowledge the presence of the Java plugin even though
it gets all the rest of the plugins in the same directory. I've also
set the correct path to the Java executable in the Java & JavaScript
settings panel.

I've tried 1.4.2_03 from Sun and 1.4.1 from Blackdown in both browser
types (Moz and Konq).

Anyone else seeing this? Not seeing this? Hints?
--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations