Re: Updating Debian in a very secure way

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:50:37 +0100
Moritz Beller <momo.beller.No-Spam@t-online.de> wrote:

> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:20:23PM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> >> * Moritz Beller (momo.beller.No-Spam@t-online.de) [040224 14:12]:
> >distribution) I> > only want to use secure updates (that means updates
> >which are believed> > to work very stable and fully tested or at least
> >something like this). I> > prefer not getting the very latest version
> >instead of a buggy test one.>
> >> You describe:
> >>
> >> # Security updates for "stable"
> >> deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
> >> deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
> >
> > Drop the second of those. (It has more or less no effect at the
> > moment; it probably will as we run up to releasing sarge, and perhaps
> > in the future it may have useful contents more regularly.)
>
> After doing so apt-get just wants to install one new package and update
> 3 packages whereas the calling of apt-get dist-upgrade before these
> changes resulted in getting an enormous list of updates to be done. I
> guess this sources.list won't update my debian.
>
> What's wrong with it?

Nothing's wrong with it:  it's what you asked for.  You started
out with a sources.list that drew from stable, testing, and unstable,
as well as unofficial repositories, but *didn't* draw from the
security updates.  You said you wanted to "only get secure packages",
and then later clarified that to say y that you wanted "updates which
are believed to work very stable and fully tested or at least
something like this".  So you were given a sources.list which drew
updates from the stable distribution, and from the security updates
(which are updates to stable).  The sources.list you were provided
didn't include testing or unstable, because you explicitly said
you didn't want those.  That's where the "enormous list of updates"
was coming from:  those two distributions.  The stable distribution
doesn't get many updates.

It sounds to me like you haven't read the documentation about this
stuff, and don't really know what's going on -- what the differences
are between stable, testing and unstable; what packages/distributions
get security updates, new version updates, etc.  I recommend reading
the Debian FAQ, esp. sections 5-8; and the Debian Reference, esp.
sections 2 and parts of 5-6.  Others here may have other recommendations.

-c

P.S.  CC'ing to you because you asked in your sig.

		(remove "snip-me." to email)