Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On 2004-02-25, Paul Johnson penned:

> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 02:16:32PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
>
>> As for down hill, I ride quite a bit of free ride, not so much
>> downhill since unfortunately I don't have the money for the big hit
>> bikes, but the steeper the terrain the more I use the front break
>> since the rear wheel has almost no traction on steep terrain.
>
> Because you're leaning forward already!

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by this rear wheel traction statement.  When
I'm going downhill, I move my body back on the bike -- afaik, this is
why "good" bike saddles are quite narrow -- to allow you the freedom to
move front to back as necessary.  Depending on how steep it gets, my
whole pelvis could be behind the saddle.

(This is somewhat from memory, as I'm a big wuss when it comes to cold +
biking and haven't biked in a few months.)

--
monique