Re: OT: Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 08:48:55AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-25, Paul Johnson penned:
> > It doesn't help that you handle cross-traffic turns (left in the US,
> > right in GB) by what Americans call "tangle turning" and is a major
> > no-no on the west side of the pond...why hold fast to "keep left" when
> > it's safer on a right turn at an intersection to keep right of
> > oncoming traffic turning right the other direction while turning?
> > It's understandable that there's a roundabout at major intersections,
> > but to treat a standard intersection like one whether or not there's
> > an island is a little nutty.
>
> As a USian, I'm really confused by this description of turning.  Could
> you please explain the term "tangle turning"?

Sort of like this:

   /------\
   |    | |
   | /--+--->
   | |  | |
   | |  | |
 <---+--/ |
   | |    |
   \-|----/

It's a requirement in the UK Highway Code. While Paul decries it on
safety grounds, the rationale is in fact that going around the other
vehicle like this is safer because you can see oncoming traffic at all
times, instead of having to nose out with the car turning across you
blocking your view.

However, in practice this is often ignored on smaller junctions. (It's
always obvious what the traffic around you is doing; you don't get "no,
I'm going *this* way" situations.)

(I contemplated taking this to private mail; probably should've done ...
I invite replies by private mail.)