Re: Emergency braking and bird anatomy [was: Re: DVD copying and CSS]

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:53:45AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:42:44AM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > I believe the proper technique is to brake harder with the front brakes
> > and apply enough pressure to the rear brakes so that you can feel when
> > the rear wheel is just about to lift off.
>
> Nope.  The proper technique is to brake harder with the back and use
> the front for auxillary power, since then the force of you braking is
> being used to torque yourself down to the ground instead of torquing
> you over the bars.  What you suggest is dangerously stupid and the
> source of a lot of bike/pedestrian collisions in Portland.

We're talking about emergency breaking (making a panic stop).
That's the way to stop in the least amount of time (using the
front break most). This is not the safest way to break, but it's
what you do in an emergency. Just like all these crazy car breaking
techniques aren't what you use at each stop sign.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com