Re: Stolen debian logo?

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 11:08:49AM -0500, David P James wrote:
> On February 22, 2004 17:25, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Yeah, it's obvious they're using the Debian-swirl there.  But how do
> > you steal what is free?
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/intro/about.en-gb.html#free
>
> Except that doesn't apply since the logo is not software.

The theory that the DFSG doesn't cover non-software is hotly contested
on debian-legal, and the consensus is that the DFSG should actually
cover everything in Debian (we do ship the logo in some packages, e.g.
as a background image).

There's been discussion about making the licence of the Open Use Logo
more free, anyway, since it seems clear that it isn't at the moment. It
kind of sucks that we're doing something we wouldn't accept from
upstream developers, and making the mistake of using copyright law to
express something that should really be expressed in trademark law.

(not speaking for the Debian Project, etc., etc.)