Re: Stolen debian logo?

On February 22, 2004 17:25, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:51:47PM +0100, Patrik Lindahl wrote:
> > I happened to notice that the logo of elektrostore.se is almost the
> > same as the Debian logo... It looks like they have changed the
> > color and rotated it slightly.
> > The URL is: http://www.elektrostore.se/
>
> Yeah, it's obvious they're using the Debian-swirl there.  But how do
> you steal what is free?
>
> http://www.debian.org/intro/about.en-gb.html#free

Except that doesn't apply since the logo is not software. As I pointed
out earlier, the Debian logos are dealt with somewhat differently. The
swirl can be used by anyone to refer to the Debian project but that
would seem to exclude commercial use not related to Debian. The swirl
above a magic lamp can only be used for Debian-endorsed uses.

http://www.debian.org/logos/

Furthermore, electrostore has even trademarked the swirl plus
"electrostore.se" in their own logo. I suspect they didn't do this
themselves but rather hired some graphics art team to come up with a
logo and someone there lazily appropriated the Debian swirl, rotated it
and recoloured it to the shade used by electrostore.se.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations