setting up alsa using a 2.6.2 kernel?

hi,

having compiled kernel 2.6.2 with built-in alsa for the intel8x0 sound card, what is the next thing to do?

i'm being completely ignorant as to what i should do next!

here are what puzzles me:

(1.) which alsa-*.deb files should i install? i would like to end up using alsaplayer to play sound.

(2.) do i need to run "alsaconf" at any point here?

(3.) the script "MAKEDEV.snd" found in the of scripts folder of the kernel tree - should this script be run instead of the "snddevices" script found in the alsa-driver folder? is there any documentation of this script?

i have already tried subscribing to the "alsa-user" list, but for some strange reason, all my subscription confirmations are sent back to me, "undelivered"...

i really would love to get sound in my debian os, but right now it seems an impossible task? im using an almost "bare" woody distribution... only tainted by evil non-working alsa files all over the place!

thanks for reading, frederik jensen