Re: GCC

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 08:55:00AM +0000, Dave Thorn wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:51:31AM -0500, Mike M wrote:
> >
> > impose such a change.  Compilers that remove .h files or complain about
> > deprecated .h files will be ignored.
>
> gcc does this.
>
> warning: #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or
> antiquated header. Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in
> section 17.4.1.2 of the C++ standard. Examples include substituting the
> <X> header for the <X.h> header for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead
> of the deprecated header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use
> -Wno-deprecated.
>
> gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030422 (Gentoo Linux 1.4 3.2.3-r3, propolice)

C++ seems to be steaming away in this direction. I've got my doubts
that the .h is going away in C however.

You're using a pretty new compiler there.

It seems that this is going to cause more portability problems than it
solves.  Code written
for advanced compilers will be incompatible with older compilers.

In my little corner of the world I;ve been told to recode C++ for C.
I've had my share of porting code between different versions of gcc and
g++ and seen more than a few compatibility issues which always get
resolved by satisfying the oldest compiler.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com