Re: KDE

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:05:36 -0600
Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com> wrote:

> I just installed Debian Sarge on my laptop. The installation process
> went very smoothly, but I have some cleanup to do.
>
> The first and biggest is that I want to use KDE instead of Gnome. I
> tried doing apt-get install kde, but it just lists some dependencies -
> one of which(kdeaddons) it says is *NOT* installable.
>
> I tried walking the list of depends without specifically asking for kde.
> The command I used was
>
> apt-get install kdebase kde-core ksysguard ksysguardd
>
> This shows one dependency (libsensors-ldebian) and is reported as not
> installable.
>
> There has to be a way to switch from gnome to kde, but I don't see it.
> Note that I'm not at all used to apt; I'm coming from SuSE and Yast did
> most of these things for me.

Hi.  If you're new to Debian, running the "testing" distribution
(currently, that would be "sarge") is probably not such a good idea.
testing is basically the assembly space for the next official Debian
release.  Because it's under construction, sometimes stuff is missing
from it.  That's currently the situation with KDE in testing.  Running
testing usually means you have to be a bit more attentive about keeping
up-to-date with security issues, as well.

For more about KDE in testing, see the Debian KDE wiki at:
http://wiki.debian.net/?DebianKDE

For more info about what testing (currently aka "sarge") is, these
might be helpful:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg00615.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200307/msg00693.html
(and there's likely other, much better ones in the archives; I only know
about these because I wrote them)

For the canonical source of information about the Debian distributions
(including a detailed description of what testing is), see Section 4.6.4
of the Developer's Reference:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch-resources.en.html#s4.6.4

HTH.

-c