Re: Fwd: Xfree86: "no screens found" with default configuration

Andreas Janssen wrote:

Hello

John Christian (<johnc909@comcast.net>) wrote:

[XFree does not work]

Ok ... I've gone through my config this way, looking for any obvious
badnesses ... I'm using the i810 driver as
per the instructions on Intel's site for the 845GE graphics chip ...
so i810 looks like what I should be using.

The only (EE) message happens at the very end (full output attached if
it's possibly more revealing):

(II) I810: Driver for Intel i810 chipset: i810, i810-dc100, i810e,
i815 (II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:02:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Looks like your chip is not supported by the i810 driver in XFree 4.1.
Check the xfree86 Website (under Support and Documentation). I think
you either haveto upgrade to a newer version of XFree or use the vesa
driver instead. Maybe Intel also offers drivers that work with XFree
4.1.

I agree with Andreas; I've got some new Dell Optiplex GX270s that have Intel 84xxG (don't have them in front of me at the moment) video chipsets, that the i810 in X in unstable won't recognize; even if I use the vesa driver I have to drop my resolution to 640x, or my color depth to 8-bit if I want 1024x. Really irritating.

--
Kent