Re: Problems with samba

At 08:18 AM 2/19/2004, Brian Brazil wrote:

Try smbpasswd -a username password

Samba sans ldap needs a seperate password file unless the Windows stsyems are set up to use plain text passwords.

Depending on the windows os it gets much worse than that. In my limited experience I installed samba servers on rh9 and fbsd 4.8 servers and established shares on my windows xp workstation. Also got shares working on my wife's w98 workstation though not completely for reasons I don't understand.

My point is this. I was cautioned that the id/pw windows will use when connecting to the share is the id/pw of the windows user. This advice allowed me to get past where you're at now and actually get the shares working, at least on win xp. But to do so I had to create id's on the unix boxes running samba with the same pw as my id/pw on windows. And encrypt them as Brian mentions.

It's really a pain and I'm very new to it, the only thing I'd like to add is that if you're using windows as your workstation as I do then it is in the end worth it.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
This Month's New Quiz --- Past Superbowl Winners