Re: Problems with samba

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:20:33AM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> Depending on the windows os it gets much worse than that. In my limited
> experience I installed samba servers on rh9 and fbsd 4.8 servers and
> established shares on my windows xp workstation. Also got shares working on
> my wife's w98 workstation though not completely for reasons I don't
> understand.

I use win98se as my primary system with no problems connecting to my
primary Linux box. The only issue I have is transferring 500mb+ files
from Windows to Linux from the Windows side. Any ideas anyone? (Running
Woody).

> My point is this. I was cautioned that the id/pw windows will use when
> connecting to the share is the id/pw of the windows user. This advice
> allowed me to get past where you're at now and actually get the shares
> working, at least on win xp. But to do so I had to create id's on the unix
> boxes running samba with the same pw as my id/pw on windows. And encrypt
> them as Brian mentions.

Note: for XP there is supposedly a .reg file you have to import to make
it work with Samba.

While I'm not on an NT based system, my username is the same on all my systems.
which solves it nicely. It is however possible to do (from windows)
net use n: \\servername\share /user:DOMAIN\username password

If you have different usernames look into a username map. But the
password sending does hold in my experiance(2000 + XP) unless you
overide as above.

> It's really a pain and I'm very new to it, the only thing I'd like to add
> is that if you're using windows as your workstation as I do then it is in
> the end worth it.

Its worth it alright. One thing to watch - syncing. I was messing with
LaTeX on my Debian system and viewing with acrobat on my windows system.
To get windows to recoginise that a new version of the pdf existed I had
to delete the pdf, F5 and recreate it. I started using Apache to get
around this but that only fixed the problem one way.

Brian