Re: default destination in exim?

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 18:38, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On 2004-02-18, Mike Fedyk penned:
> > On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:49:12PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> >> On 2004-02-17, Ken Gilmour penned:

> >> In which section would this go?

> >> Um, something here is making me nervous.  Would I have to then
> >> enumerate every possible mail user in /etc/email-addresses as well?
> >>
> >> Ie, if joe, bob, and dan are actual users on my machine, but do not
> >> have entries in /etc/email-addresses, and I put the rewrite rule you
> >> suggest into my config, will all of their email go to the user
> >> defined for * ?
> >>
> >> I don't understand why putting *: username in my /etc/aliases file
> >> doesn't seem to work =/
> >
> > Search for "/etc/aliases" in your exim.conf, and s/lsearch/lsearch*/
> > to put a literal "*" after lsearch.
> >
> > Then put "*: <destination username>" at the end of /etc/aliases and
> > your concerns will be taken into account.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> When I do this, all mail to any user on the system gets sent to that
> account, not just mail to non-existent users.  Eek!

I found this (below) here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch-tune.en.html#s-mta
<quote>
9.6.1.3 A catchall for nonexistent email addresses (Exim)

In /etc/exim/exim.conf (Woody or later), in the DIRECTORS part, at the
end (after the localuser: director) add a catch-all director that
matches all addresses that the previous directors couldn't resolve (per
Miquel van Smoorenburg):

catchall:
  driver = smartuser
  new_address = webmaster@mydomain.com

If one wants to have more a detailed recipe for each virtual domain,
etc., add the following at the end of /etc/exim/exim.conf (per me, not
well tested):

     *@yourdomain.com ${lookup{$1}lsearch*{/etc/email-addresses} \
             {$value}fail} T

Then have an "*" entry in /etc/email-addresses.
</quote>

Maybe it is of use to you. I get a bit uncomfortable reading exim
documentation, but I think this is what you want.
I just tried adding only the catchall-director in exim.conf (nothing
extra in /etc/aliases or /etc/email-addresses) on a woody box and I
could sent mail to an unknown user. Delivery is made using the
new_address.

Chris