Re: default destination in exim?

* Monique Y. Herman (spam@bounceswoosh.org) [040218 10:15]:
> On 2004-02-18, Mike Fedyk penned:
> > Search for "/etc/aliases" in your exim.conf, and s/lsearch/lsearch*/
> > to put a literal "*" after lsearch.
> >
> > Then put "*: <destination username>" at the end of /etc/aliases and
> > your concerns will be taken into account.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> When I do this, all mail to any user on the system gets sent to that
> account, not just mail to non-existent users.  Eek!

This is because the system_aliases director comes before localuser.
Directors are searched in order.  If you only want a particular director
to be used for addresses that fail all other tests, you
want to add a new director at the end of the list.  Then, since all this
director needs to do is send all mail to a new address, there's no need
for it to lsearch an alias file, just use smartuser and new_address.
The additional alias file can be useful if in case you want to have a
bit more control over the wildcard, though.  For example, you could
selectively block/drop certain addresses:

# at the end of the directors configuration section
catchall:
  driver = aliasfile
  file_transport = address_file
  pipe_transport = address_pipe
  file = /etc/wild_aliases
  search_type = lsearch*

Then in /etc/wild_aliases, you have *:monique (to deliver all mail to
monique), but you can also include things like this:

myh-lotsospam: :unknown:
myh-exboyfriend: :blackhole:
myh-foo: :fail:

unknown and fail are almost the same in this case, since this is the
last director, there are no more to pass on to, so unknown results in a
failure.  The message might be different though (something like "no such
user" vs. "administratively prohibited, forced failure") but you'd have
to test that; I'm not absolutely sure.  Actually, that caveat goes for
this whole message; I haven't used exim3 in a long, long time!  I
recommend Andreas' exim4 backport packages.  Actually, no, you said
you're using unstable; just grab exim4 from there.

Oh yeah, btw, in case it's not obvious: the wild_aliases example
addresses I gave are local parts of recipient addresses, just like a
regular alias file.  It's good if you have certain addresses that get
nothing but spam.  This will help you manage the noise a bit.

good times,
Vineet

--
http://www.doorstop.net/