Re: Raid Level 1 and me

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 14:01, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> > You don't mention this, but did you change your /etc/raidtab file to
> > indicate that hda was no longer a broken disk, but a live part of the
> > array?
>
> funny you mention that .. I don't actually have an /etc/raidtab file, for
> some reason ... (this reason:
> http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2002/12/05/RAID.html?page=1) I
> thought when using mdadm, you don't use the raidtab file, but rather the
> /etc/mdadm.conf (/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf for debian systems) and populate
> it with
>
> DEVICE		/dev/hdaN /dev/hdcN /dev/hda(N+1) /dev/hdc(N+1) etc...
> ARRAY		/dev/md1 devices=/dev/hdc1,/dev/hdc1
> ARRAY		...
>
> perhaps I am mistaken?

Oops, I thought you were using raidtools2.  I haven't used mdadm much, but
based upon the link provided and the manpage, you appear to be correct.  I
take it your /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf properly lists all drives you want in
the array before you reboot?

Are all partitions marked as linux raid autodetect?

If all the above questions are answered "Yes" then post the results of
'mdadm -D /dev/md8' after a reboot, and we may be able to give further
help.

> > You probably didn't use the -p switch when you copied, so you applied
> > the umask of the root user to all files you copied.  Those permissions
> > are likely too restrictive.  Check the original partitions on hda, if
> > they still exist.  If the permissions are different, then you'll need
> > to change them.
>
> indeed, no (luckily, my hda boot and / partitions should be still there)
> ... good call on that one!
>
> > [sorry for the excess snippage. :-)]
>
> sometimes censorship is a good thing.

You mean brevity, I'm sure.