Re: Calendaring [was: Holy Shee-it]

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:20:53PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
Paul Johnson wrote:
Because I've been looking for a calendaring solution for 4 or 5 years, and have never found anything like the way we do things on campus. We used Schedule+ on Windows for years (and Mac users and Linux users were left with nothing), but with each new version of Windows/MSOffice/Outlook, it became harder and harder to keep the system working (because of under-the-hood breakage that Outlook introduced); finally this past December we declared Schedule+ dead. Since then, our campus solution has been the SunONE Calendar, but it's web-based, and has no pop-up appointment reminders, doesn't sync reliably with PDAs, and is just uncomfortable to use (being web-based). I really had high hopes for Mozilla Calendar, as it is cross-platform (Wow! Yippee! Boo-yah!), mostly does the shared calendar thing (but not with SunONE - arghghg!), nor does it have PDA sync. (And it currently doesn't have any active developers apparently).

Yikes...they could have had the best of both worlds with koffice/kontact.

I just did an "apt-get install koffice", and although there is a package named that, there appears to be no such app as "koffice". So just guessing, I ran "korganizer", which brought up a calendar app. Is that what you're talking about?

There is no package named "kontact" (at least that I found).

It doesn't seem to have seamless calendar sharing either; looks like you can mail calendar info to other people, and looks like you can open other people's static calendar files manually, but there doesn't seem to be a way to have a live copy of other people's files (so that as they add appts, the changes get updated on your view of their calendar, etc).

--
Kent