Calendaring [was: Holy Shee-it]

Paul Johnson wrote:

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:16:10AM -0600, Kent West wrote:
But does this allow you to share calendars with the secretary, and with Joe Bob across the hall, without importing/exporting everytime you want to share?

Again, it uses the same format.

Does it synch with a PDA?

Yup, kpilot works wonders with it.

What's with the third degree thinking it doesn't work the way you
expect?

Because I've been looking for a calendaring solution for 4 or 5 years, and have never found anything like the way we do things on campus. We used Schedule+ on Windows for years (and Mac users and Linux users were left with nothing), but with each new version of Windows/MSOffice/Outlook, it became harder and harder to keep the system working (because of under-the-hood breakage that Outlook introduced); finally this past December we declared Schedule+ dead. Since then, our campus solution has been the SunONE Calendar, but it's web-based, and has no pop-up appointment reminders, doesn't sync reliably with PDAs, and is just uncomfortable to use (being web-based). I really had high hopes for Mozilla Calendar, as it is cross-platform (Wow! Yippee! Boo-yah!), mostly does the shared calendar thing (but not with SunONE - arghghg!), nor does it have PDA sync. (And it currently doesn't have any active developers apparently).

I'm not really interested in a single-platform solution such as Evolution or Korganizer (or whatever it's called), but if it works on Linux, it might be a foot-in-the-door method of swaying the campus away from Windows, because calendaring is very very very very important to a lot of people on campus.

The problem with the products I've tried (ie Evolution) is not that products don't use "the same format"; the problem is that there is no mechanism for sharing the calendar files seamlessly, or rather that I haven't discovered that mechanism. Thus my question about sharing calendars in Ximian Evolution; if it's just a shortcoming on my part that I haven't discovered the mechanism, then I again have hope. As it is, Bruce's response was "No, not currently", which leaves me again watching campus users finally adopting Outlook (we've managed to keep it mostly off campus until Schedule+ died) for calendaring, and "Oh, we might as well use it for mail also", and now Windows is even more entrenched on campus, and soon the clamor will begin to swap out SunONE for Exchange, all for lack of a cross-platform calendaring solution.

If I had any coding skill, I'd jump on the Mozilla Calendar project, but as I can't code my way out of an infinite loop, the best I can do is whine about it when Paul asks me "why the third-degree?"

--
Kent