Re: CPU-intensive periodic processes, e.g. xscreensaver-gl

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 15:43, Nano Nano wrote:
> Now I can turn the fan down to "quite quiet" (3000 RPMs) and compile hte
> kernel at 46C (before it was 55C).  So I can sleep peacefully.

I don't know what Pentium4 chips are rated to run at, but I think you might be
over paranoid about the temperature.  The P4 does have thermal throttling
built in, so even if a power hungry process does fire itself up misteriuosly
while you're dead to the world, the cpu  won't fry.

As a loose and almost irrelevant comparison, my AthlonXP 1800+ (Palomino core)
runs at around 55 centigrade at idle.  Something like setiathome bumps this
to between 60 and 70 degrees, depending on the room temperature, and it runs
perfectly stable: 15:20:06 up 85 days, 16 min.   Heatsink/fan is not quite
one of the hardcore overclocker models, but it sounds about like a vacuum
cleaner with the box open, so I can relate.

So my guess is you can safely leave it with the fan turning slowly and it'll
survive the odd spike.

One thing I do when I have have to leave the computer on while I sleep, is to
put a pillow on top of the case - it absorbs a lot of sound.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy