Re: [Q] apt-get/dpkg & pkg customization

> What's the best way to install packages when one wants different build
> parameters from those used to build its standard Debian distribution?
>
> (In my pre-dpkg days, I would have just downloaded the source code,
> compiled it with exactly those features I wanted, and installed the
> newly built package, but I suspect that this "direct" approach is
> likely to mess up the tracking of installed package done by dpkg and
> apt-get.)
>
> TIA,
>
> kj
>
> PS: pls cc me in your reply

Get the source package and make changes there
* apt-get build-dep <packagename>
* apt-get source <packagename>
* adjust settings
* dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc
* install the deb.

or get the source like you normally would and make a deb file
yourself:
http://www.kclee.com/clemens/unix/HowToCreateYourOwnDebianPackage.html
http://www-jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk/jcn/documentation/html-only/packaging.html
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-debpkg.html

Checkinstall is a tool which can create packages from source automatically.
I'm not sure it works on everything.

Regards,
Benedict