Re: TrueType fonts and X

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:13:13PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 01:20:29AM +0100, Tomas Hoger said
> > Hi!
> >
> > I know it's boring, but I do have one another question / problem with
> > fonts, specially truetype fonts.  I've seen some recent threads about
> > fonts, I've read this (http://egads.ertius.org/~rob/font_guide.txt) howto,
> > but it does not help ;(.
> >
> > Long story short: truetype fonts does not seem to work with X and gtk1.
> > They works fine under KDE3, gtk2, OpenOffice, ... .  I do have
> > x-ttcidfont-conf and defoma installed and correct paths set as suggested by
> > Rob's font_guide.  I also have msttcorefonts, but xfontsel does not show
> > foundry microsoft and those fonts are not available to gtk1 apps
> > (gtkfontsel, switch).
>
> Does /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 mention the x-ttcidfont-conf directory?

Or wherever the truetype fonts are installed.

Are you loading either the freetype or xtt modules in the XF86Config-4?

Does the true type fonts dir have a fonts.dir and fonts.scale? For the
X font server to find the fonts it needs those files.

If you need to create them look at mkttfdir and ttmkfdir in the fttools
and ttmkfdir packages respectively.
One make the fonts.dir file and claims no fonts.scale file is needed
for the xtt extension and the other makes the fonts.scale file.

I remember having an issue with one of them with finding the hebrew
incodings in the files but don't remember which. I think there was no
problem with the english encoding.