TrueType fonts and X

Hi!

I know it's boring, but I do have one another question / problem with
fonts, specially truetype fonts.  I've seen some recent threads about
fonts, I've read this (http://egads.ertius.org/~rob/font_guide.txt) howto,
but it does not help ;(.

Long story short: truetype fonts does not seem to work with X and gtk1.
They works fine under KDE3, gtk2, OpenOffice, ... .  I do have
x-ttcidfont-conf and defoma installed and correct paths set as suggested by
Rob's font_guide.  I also have msttcorefonts, but xfontsel does not show
foundry microsoft and those fonts are not available to gtk1 apps
(gtkfontsel, switch).  However when this Sid box was installed about 6
months ago, tt fonts were working out-of-box.  On one another box I've
installed at about the same time, tt fonts works fine, so I guess screwed
my config somehow, but I really have no idea how.  Any suggestions and
hints are appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.

th.

PS: Please, CC your replies also to my private mail, thanks.
PPS: The other box has also some font problems under KDE.  I've described
them at my post to debian-kde:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2004/debian-kde-200402/msg00063.html
Sadly, no-one was able to give any advice ;(.  If you can, don't be ashamed
to do so ;)).