Re: MplayerPlugin ALMOST Works!

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:06:17AM +0900, Victor Munoz wrote:

> > I installed Mplayer with the codecs, etc. Mplayer (gmplayer) workes
> > beautifully (Hollywood DVD's), etc. I then installed Mplayer plugin. It
> > installed fine and shows clearly in Mozilla 1.4 under About Plugins and I
> > then configured the mplayerplugin-conf file as directed by Mplayer-plugin's
> > web site.
> >
> > What happens is that when I launch a video (e.g. http://www.cbsnews.com), the
> > Mplayerplugin starts working. I can see it beginning to download. In fact,
> > sometimes it actually shows it downloading with the progress bar. But it
> > never actually plays the video. Here are some screenshots and the relevant
> > files:
> >

>  I don't know if this will be of any help. I use a Sid and a Woody machine.
>  In the woody machine I've had no problems with MPlayer (1.0pre3) and the
> mplayerplugin (1.2). In the sid machine I had problems like the ones you
> mention: download begins, but then stops. I ended up uninstalling
> mplayerplugin, and installed Plugger, which also calls mplayer in the end,
> but works better for the sites I had problems. Anyway, since I had problems
> from time to time, like transmission falling in an endless loop, I traced
> the url of the stream source, and call mplayer directly from the command
> line. That works because I'm interested in streams from two or three
> particular sites, but for general use, a working plugin is the solution.
> Maybe you can try Plugger.
>
> Regards,
> 					Victor

I use 'xterm -e mplayer-script' for the relevant mime types, then
call urlview in the script to pull out the url and launch mplayer,
(in fact I've a choice of players I launch from the scripts).

I also have a 'no display' set of mime types to call mplayer, mpg123,
ogg123 and the command-line realplayer from lynx (same script).

Works a treat, definitely under-complicated.

--
Mark Kent